lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Performance question

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Performance question
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:57:24 +0000

Leon Pollak wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> May be I do not know to search...
>
> I found rather old and weird replies about the question of lwIP performance
> (speed) in comparison to other stacks.
> Especially, I should receive some feelings about the UDP performance both by
> core and API variants.

I don't know whether this informal report helps, but lwIP can go pretty
darn fast. I could use most of the bandwidth of a 100Mbps network with an
ARM7 target with 64K RAM, shoving TCP data. It wasn't a very useful sort of
test admittedly :) - it was a dedicated test precisely for seeing the
performance. It helps to optimise the header checksum routines.

But to be clear, lwIP is designed for low memory use, not performance. You
would not expect it to necessarily be as fast as a bigger stack, if you
have plenty of memory.

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine