lwip-users

[lwip-users] ethernetif and moving to the future 1.3

From: Hans . Forsstrom
Subject: [lwip-users] ethernetif and moving to the future 1.3
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:44:56 +0100

Hello,
I'm currently working on moving our existing solution based on lwIP 1.2 to the future version 1.3 (I got a snapshot from CVS that I use for the moment). I have a couple of questions that I hope that you can help me with.

We have implemented an ethernetif interface based on the skeleton in version 1.2, we have also updated our thread handling for 1.3 so now we are using multthreading for the lwIP stack. I wanted to verify the changes that we have to do, and see if I missed something. For the moment, before I done all the changed mention below, the tcpip thread stops working after 4-5 hours of usage. The time it take to test this is the main reason for me wanting to verify my changes instead of trying to verify it using our test cases.

1: If I understand everything correctly we should use tcpip_input instead of ethernet_input for our ethnetif interface (multithreaded).

2: The ethernetif implementation shouldn't handle ARP frames from now on, this will be handled by tcpip_input (using ethernet_input). If we specify the netif flag NETIF_FLAG_ETHARP.

3: netif_add, netif_set_default and netif_set_up should be replaces with netifapi_netif_add, netifapi_netif_set_default and netifapi_netif_set_up. We doesn't call this methods from the tcpip thread.

4: The arp_timer functionality shouldn't be part of ethernetif any more, this is now handled by the tcpip thread instead.

Is this correct and does anyone see something that I have missed?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Best Regards,
Hans Forsström
******************************
Neither the footer nor anything else in this E-mail is intended to or constitutes an
electronic signature and/or legally binding agreement in the absence of an
express statement or Autoliv policy and/or procedure to the contrary.
This E-mail and any attachments hereto are Autoliv property and may contain legally
privileged, confidential and/or proprietary information.
The recipient of this E-mail is prohibited from distributing, copying, forwarding or in any way
disseminating any material contained within this E-mail without prior written
permission from the author. If you receive this E-mail in error, please
immediately notify the author and delete this E-mail. Autoliv disclaims all
responsibility and liability for the consequences of any person who fails to
abide by the terms herein.