lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Finding assigned IP address of device

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Finding assigned IP address of device
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:40:34 +0000

Bill Auerbach wrote:
> Hello,
>

> This may be straying off topic.  What methods can be used for a node
> connected to my lwIP-based device to be able to find out the IP address
> assigned by DHCP or AUTOIP?   I don’t have a display on the device to
> know what the IP address is.  How can I let the PC wanting to connect to
> me know the assigned IP address?

Either connect from the device to the PC first so it can tell it (or can at
least so the PC can look up the peer address); make the device do some sort
of broadcast which you are listening for on the PC; look it up from the
DHCP server (in a DHCP server specific way); configure your DHCP server to
give it a fixed address each time; configure your DHCP server to give it a
certain DNS name each time (assuming your DHCP server can set set stuff in
the DNS).

There is no general way. It usually has to be application-specific. After
all, if you had two of these nodes on your network, how can you tell them
apart either.

Jifl
Visit us @ Embedded World 2008, Nürnberg, Germany, 26-28 Feb:Stand 11-336
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine