lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] what the NETIF_FLAG_DHCP is for?

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] what the NETIF_FLAG_DHCP is for?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:50:06 +0100

Kiran Bacchewar wrote:
HI all,
i want to enable the DHCP in lwip. iam using lwip 1.3 version. i made the fallowing initialization... #define LWIP_DHCP 1 (in lwipopts.h)
ip_addr.addr=0;                                (in init.c file)
netmask.addr=0; gw.addr=0;
netif_add(netif,ip_addr,netmask,gw,state,drvr_init,ethernet_input);
netif_set_default(netif);
netif_set_up(netif1);
dhcp_start(netif);

I assume that netif_add isn't literally what you have as I would have expected something like netif_add(netif, &ip_addr, &netmask, &gw, netif->state, ....).

and the netif_set_up(netif1) should not have the "1".

But I guess that's just you simplifying for here.

by this initialization, i can see the DISCOVER,OFFER,REQUEST,ACK packets sent to/from by the lwip as per the DHCP standard.... but when i ping for the offerd address, the board(on which lwip is ported) doesn't respond... after doing some debug... i found that there is no ip address assigned in the netif->ip_addr, its assignde to 'zero' the initial value... and if i disable the DHCP and give
1>the static ip addresses
2>make LWIP_DHCP 0 3>remove the dhcp_start() the ping, all the other appliacations works fine.... what might be the problem??? is the DHCP initialization right??? am i missing some thing???

I can't instantly see the issue. Are you using the tcpip thread?

In lwipopts.h you could enable LWIP_DEBUG and set DHCP_DEBUG to LWIP_DBG_ON to get debug output from the dhcp module to see what it thinks is going on.

Or alternatively you can debug the dhcp_recv() function in dhcp.c from your debugger, and see why it isn't calling dhcp_bind().

what is the significance of NETIF_FLAG_DHCP?? where it should be set into the netif flags in the initialization sequence???

You don't need to set it. It gets set by dhcp_start.

Jifl