lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Problem With dns.c Using 32-Bit Compilers

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Problem With dns.c Using 32-Bit Compilers
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 04:15:43 +0100

Grubb, Jared wrote:
According to the ARMARM (pg A4-113), LDRB is present in v3 (LDRH was
added in v4). I use a ARM7TDMI, so I have no direct knowledge of
anything!=v4, so I can just say what the ARMARM says.

Oh, well the ARMARM would be right, so I must be misremembering. I thought that was one of the reasons for the rotate on misaligned word load tricks - to make it easier to mask off bytes.

Out of curiousity, what is the processor that your friend is using? (If
you can say)

XAP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAP_processor

As I said, it's possible for the compiler to workaround the fact that the smallest directly addressible memory unit isn't 8-bits. But in this case, the supplied tools didn't, and so chars are 16-bits.

Jifl