lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP in multi-thread environment mixed with raw-api

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP in multi-thread environment mixed with raw-api
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:20:40 +0100

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 16:19 +0200, Alexander Heidt wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am getting familiar with lwIP right now, on a STM32-Microcontroller.
> Right now I have the lwIP running in a single thread, works fine. I even
> built a veeeery simple http-server using the raw-api.
> Now I am trying to use lwIP with FreeRTOS. My question: As it is stated
> in the wiki, only ONE application thread using the lwIP-api is
> permitted. In my application I would like to 1. have the http-server
> running to serve a config-website and 2. connect to a server to upload
> some data. As I am not familiar with the lwIP-api yet: Is this possible
> via the api in one single task? Or is it possible, to leave the
> http-server I have already as it is (totally done via callbacks), and
> just use the api to do the data-uploading in my application task?

I'm not quite sure - I'd have to think carefully about what you're
proposing and what lwIP supports, which I don't quite have time for at
the moment, but there should be a way to do what you need.

> And one another question regarding PPP: Afaik now PPP needs a
> multithreaded environment, cause the PPP-daemon runs in its own thread.
> But what is the status of the PPP-part of lwIP?? Is it still very buggy,
> or is there somebody having had a good experience with it?? Just to
> know, if it is worth, trying to use it, or not!

There is no active developer for PPP, so bugs aren't really getting
fixed at the rate I would like, but people use it and it seems to work
well enough for at least some of them, so I would say give it a go and
see.  If you're able to improve it, then fixes are very welcome.

Kieran