lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: How to port PPP for use without an OS??

From: Niels Hendriks
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: How to port PPP for use without an OS??
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

>>Kieran Mansley wrote:
>>> A) How the PPP implementation works / is implemented
>>> B) What has to be done to port the PPP implementation so that it can
>>> be used without a OS.
>>>

>> Those are very open-ended questions, and so are unlikely to get a useful
>> reply.  Can you be more specific about what you need to know.
>>
>> Unfortunately there still aren't any active lwIP developers working on
>> the PPP code.
Oke that explains a lot to me.
About being more specific: The company mentor would like me to explain more about the implementation
of the PPP functionality from LwIP. But that is kind of difficult since I'm not able to figure the code out myself.
So sorry, but at the moment I'm affraid I can't formulate a question that is more specific. But thanks for the reply though!

>Simon wrote:
>Plus converting the lwIP code to be used without an OS might be quite
>hard since the code is more or less copied from one of the BSD unixes;
>it would have to be converted to be statemachine-like, not sequential.

The comment in the source- and headerfiles (lwip/src/netif/ppp.c and lwip/src/netif/ppp.h) made it clear to me that it was a copy from
the BSD unixes. I'll just have to talk to my mentor about it, and ask what he wants to know exactly.
Yet again, thanks for you replies.

By the way, for all of jou that are interessted: I've been busy developing a statemachine based FTP server with LwIP. Sourcefiles will be available
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lwftp/ as soon as I have time to test the basic functionality like loggin on.