lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] IP Address Display Functions

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] IP Address Display Functions
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:58:59 -0400

I'd like to add that the packing around struct ip_addr is also unnecessary.
Although it seems benign, it's not.  My version of GCC (NIOS) treats this
packed struct as char array and does 4 byte loads, ANDs, shifts, and ORs
everywhere this stuct was used.  I simply use:

struct ip_addr {
  u32_t addr;
};

If there was a reason for the packing, I don't see it.  If it's used within
another struct, the packing of the outer struct defines the behavior.  On
the NIOS GCC build, this was one of the 3 non-code-changing optimizations I
made that had a noticeable effect on bandwidth and codesize of both UDP and
TCP.  I think this has to be because the ip_addr struct is so heavily used.
I recommend the patch above.  If there's an argument that packing is
required for a single member struct, I'm interesting seeing the reason or
proof that it's required.

Bill