lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP malloc fail

From: Navcon - Pedro Paulo Santos
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP malloc fail
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:20:43 -0300

Hi to all,

Excuse for the delay.

Finally I could do the large download from the external serial flash memory, and I'll post here in the case someone have the same problem I had.

The main mistake I did was that I tried to send all the data in the recv callback function. As I realized, lwIP received the ACK, but didn't freed the memory because it does so in other handler (unknown for me) different from recv. And this isn't done while the program remained in recv function (I think that the callback functions can't be interrupted by lwIP itself, correct me if I'm wrong).

So I had to create a global struct where I could "register" files to be transfered (I write a pointer to the data, the number of bytes, and a pointer to a next tranfer struct) that is included in the argument struct. In the recv callback function I just "register" the files I want to download and the tcp_write itself is done outside in the poll callback function. In this struct I have, also, a status where I set if there is a transfer running or not, and this status changes from "TRANSFER_RUNNING" to "NO_TRANSFER" in the sent callback function. This way I can transfer files of almost any size I want (only limited by the size of the linked list created for the "registers").

Of course this solution causes high latency, but the performance can be improve by the correct configuration of the timer used by lwIP if we stablish a fixed size for each TCP transfer (but this only make sense in my case where I have to make large transfers that always use a lot of TCP packages). The latency can be improve for really small tranfers by sending in the recv function, but I would not suggest this.

To complete, my program runs fine. If I said anything wrong about lwIP engine, please correct me, my conclusions were born in my atempting to implement my program, but I didn't find any documentation that explains lwIP from the basics.

Thanks to all.

Pedro Paulo.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:01 PM