lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Setting the netif hostname without using DHCP

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Setting the netif hostname without using DHCP
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 21:24:14 +0200

 Karthik Vadambacheri Manian wrote:
Basically I want to ping from a unix box not a windows box. I tried
setting NETBIOS_LWIP_NAME but as you said it works for windows only.
So without using DHCP in LWIP is there a way to set the hostname which
I can ping from another m/c?
The question isn't if there is a way in lwIP to set a hostname, the question is how can you make your unix box know the name. And as far as I know, the only portable way under unixes is DNS. You could configure your local network's DNS server to translate names into addresses, but that's not what you want, I guess. BTW, using DHCP for that also only works if the DHCP- and DNS-server work together and are allowed (by the admin) to take hostnames suggested by clients.

Another method would be mDNS, but that's not available yet for lwIP (although there's a task for that on savannah, already) and you need special software for unix, too.

Simon