lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DNS Client in lwIP

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DNS Client in lwIP
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:07:46 +0100

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 15:58 +0200, Walter Saegesser wrote:

> -          what is to be expected as the result of the action. I fancy
> that the DNS server, the one provided by DHCP, should make an entry in
> its table with the name and ip given and that henceforth an URL of
> http://MyDevice in the browser should be redirected to
> 172.xxx.xxx.xxx.

No, that's not right.  The gethostbyname function will lookup a name in
the DNS server's table, not add an entry to the table.  You need some
thing to update the DNS server but we don't package anything like that
with lwIP, as it's effectively an application rather than part of the
network stack and I think it will be dependent on the DNS server you're
using.

Kieran