lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TCP timer intervals

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TCP timer intervals
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 15:56:24 +0100

On 31 Mar 2012, at 19:55, Christoph Baier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since my TCP connections are established inside a low latency (non-public)
> network (10-100usec RTT), in order to speed up retransmissions I am thinking
> to reduce the TCP_TMR_INTERVAL in lwip to 1 or 10 msec.
>
> Any thoughts on issues that could arise with this change? Any other changes
> recommended for low latency networks?

It will probably be fine in that environment.  In general I would hope that the
fast retransmission mechanism would be handling most of the retransmissions,
but perhaps your traffic pattern doesn't let that kick in.  TCP does have
algorithms to try to measure the RTT and use that to adjust the retransmission
timer, but I can't remember off the top of my head if lwIP does that yet.

Kieran