lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LwIP 1.3.2 -> 1.4.0: Huge RAM increase for PPP use

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LwIP 1.3.2 -> 1.4.0: Huge RAM increase for PPP use
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 23:20:07 +0200

Marco Jakobs wrote:
Hi Simon,

i'm using Rowley CrossStudio for ARM,

OK, I don't have a MAP parser for that, anyway...

  but i've found a new buffer which
consumes most of the increased memory:

/** RX buffer size: this may be configured smaller! */
#ifndef PPPOS_RX_BUFSIZE
#define PPPOS_RX_BUFSIZE    (PPP_MRU + PPP_HDRLEN)
#endif

This is around 1.5k and was not there in 1.3.2 ... however, there is no
advice in the code how "small" it can be defined to be still useful (and
what this buffer does).

I thought of something in that direction... In 1.3.2, this buffer has been allocated from a PBUF_RAM pbuf. This was kind of broken from the design point: PBUF_RAM is mostly used for TX while PPP used it for RX - this could mean that allocating too much TX buffers could block RX.

Anyhow, the total amount of memory used by lwIP hasn't been changed by this: the only change is that now, the memory is allocated statically, while before that allocation was hidden inside 'ram_heap' (defined in mem.c).

I'm still open for a good proposal for a change, if you have one...

Simon