lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Thread safety in LWIP core

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Thread safety in LWIP core
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:40:27 +0100

Rajesh wrote:

> I am trying to run multi instances of LWIP core on different threads. I know
> that LWIP core does not supports thread safety

Running multiple instances in different threads is a different thing to thread
safety. Thread safety is required when calling from different threads into the
same lwIP core, whereas you won't multiple instances.

Since lwIP heavily relies on global variables that are only available once for
your CPU, using multiple threads doesn't help you. You either need multiple
processes, each with their own memory or you need to completely change lwIP to
not use global variables. I think the latter is what the ReactOS guys did, so
you might use their lwIP port.

Simon