lwip-users

[lwip-users] lwip APIs in a multithreaded enviroment

From: Lunkewitz, Daniel
Subject: [lwip-users] lwip APIs in a multithreaded enviroment
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 15:16:13 +0000

Dear Community,

we operate a webserver, a modbus client and an UDP broadcaster in our FreeRTOS application. Each service uses its own thread. The webserver uses the netconn API. Both, the modbus client and the UDP broadcaster use raw API.

We stumbled upon this information:

“The lwIP core isn't thread safe. If we have to use lwIP in a multithread environment, we should (or HAVE TO) use "upper" API layers (netconn or sockets). When using raw API you need to protect yourself the core.” - http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/LwIP_and_multithreading

Is it safe to use lwip the way we do? What does it mean to protect the core? Strangely enough, the example project our modbus client is based on (“freemodbus-v1.5.0\demo\STR71XTCP” from http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemodbus.berlios/files/freemodbus-v1.5.0.zip) also uses raw API and seems to run its own thread.

Thanks and best regards

Daniel

ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT