lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Single connection with "httpd" web server

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Single connection with "httpd" web server
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 07:15:22 +0200

Radouch, Zdenek wrote:
> 1. HTTP is just a protocol, nothing to do with the number of concurrent
> connections;
> it will work perfectly fine if you limit the connections to one at a time.
> 2. Whether or not a browser will create multiple connections depends on your
> HTML
> which you can fully control, so I don't think this is such a bad idea at all.

I'm perfectly aware of that. However, it's not as straightforward as the
original question implied it would. Having a single connection only is not the
only thing you need to do (as you already wrote above).

Also, although named "keepalive", persistent connections won't stay open as
long as a user looks at the page in his browser - it will be closed after some
seconds of inactivity. So enabling keepalive support and limiting connections
to one is just not the correct thing to do to give exclusive access to
configuration changes.

> BTW, once you try running a secure web server on an embedded target, the
> 16-32kB per
> TLS connection (WolfSSL) will make you very quickly appreciate the benefit of
> limiting the number of concurrent connections.

Reducing memory usage can be fun, but it didn't seem that the OP was concerned
about memory usage.

Simon