lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Could sys_restart_timeouts be provided also for !NO_SYS

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Could sys_restart_timeouts be provided also for !NO_SYS targets ?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 20:20:28 +0200

Hi Ari,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 02:13:10PM +0300, Ari Suutari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This related to http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?48568
>
> I have a system which sleeps long times but sys_now() progresses during
> sleep.
> Currently this still seems to cause some surprises with timers.
>
> While there seems to be discussion about moving to absolute time
> in timers instead of current implementation, could it be possible that
> timeouts.c provided
> sys_restart_timeouts() function also for targets that are using RTOS in the
> meantime ?

The problem here is that sys_timeouts_mbox_fetch() is still running when
you go to sleep, therefore calling sys_restart_timeouts() would do
nothing, this is why this function is currently not available in !NO_SYS
mode.

Anyway, could you try enabling sys_restart_timeouts() for !NO_SYS and
then calling it with tcpip_callback() to see what happen ? Theoretically
it should work but I'm not confident enough to certainly state there is
no corner case doing so.

(And yes, absolute timers does not have this problem ;)

Sylvain