lwip-users

[lwip-users] RTOS Integration

From: Kenny Koller
Subject: [lwip-users] RTOS Integration
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 05:02:02 +0000

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting with some code generated by the ST Cube software for FreeRTOS.

I prefer not to use the FreeRTOS memory manager and the current version supports static allocation so I pleased to read this:

Since lwIP 1.4.0, semaphore, mutexes and mailbox functions are prototyped in a way that allows both using pointers or actual OS structures to be used. This way, memory required for such types can be either allocated in place (globally or on the stack) or on the heap (allocated internally in the "*_new()" functions).

Of course I understand what is meant by allocating in place or on the stack but in practice how would be be used? It seems that you still need to preallocate a number of mailboxes or semaphores. Is creating a simple static array in sys_arch.c and doing some book keeping on which have been allocated/freed a reasonable approach?

Regards,

Kenny