lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TCPIP and MAC thread task priorities

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TCPIP and MAC thread task priorities
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 21:24:53 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 08:03:09PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Oops, didn't see that before pushing the 'send' button :-)
>
> Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> >The RX thread (if any) should have a higher priority than the TCPIP thread,
>
> That's probably true. Having it the other way round doesn't actually
> break it I guess, but you should have a strong cause to do so (e.g. RX
> throttling, giving priority to TX).

It doesn't matter much anyway, we all know that with mutexes,
semaphores, critical sections, and queues, priority inversion is the
norm rather than the exception.

If the system can't process RX fast enough, whichever task have
precedence, incoming packets will be lost, either if DMA rx ring is full
or if tcpip message box is full, then it won't work properly.

Sylvain