lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Connection abort due to max SYN retries reached

From: D.C. van Moolenbroek
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Connection abort due to max SYN retries reached
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:59:29 +0100

Hi,

On 3/22/2017 18:11, Axel Lin wrote:
I recently found it's easy to get connection abort when I test
connecting web server.
(test by just repeating send http request)

It's easy to get below debug message:
tcp_slowtmr: max SYN retries reached

Just a guess: could it be that your test is making so many connections so fast that you're cycling through all local port numbers and thus end up reusing them, while previous connections with those port numbers are still in TIME_WAIT state on the web server side at the time that the first SYN is sent for the new connection on the client side? It should be fairly easy to check this with netstat on the server side, if you have access to such a tool there of course.

If that is indeed the case, behavior would definitely differ between 1.4.1 and 2.0.x due to patch #9039 and bug #50498, although it would then be a matter of perspective as to whether the issue is with lwIP or your test..

Regards,
David