lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] makefsdata producing compressed files

From: Giuseppe Modugno
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] makefsdata producing compressed files
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:26:41 +0100

Il 26/02/2018 12:57, Simon Goldschmidt ha scritto:
Giuseppe Modugno wrote:
I compiled makefsdata.c with miniz.c and enabled compression, that is
only deflate. It seems it works well here with my files (I tested with
Chrome).

However I have a doubt. Is deflate the right compression scheme to use?
I read something confusing about deflate, something related to early
Microsoft products (servers and clients) that aspects a wrong data
format for deflate. Indeed, it seems Apache supports only gzip
compression scheme.
You're right that (older?) ms browsers are bogus regarding deflate. However,
I thin I got this working by using a raw deflate stream without zlib header.
I can't remember which browser versions I tested with, though. But all I
tested were working.
Good.

However, I'll happily accept a patch using gzip, of course!
Maybe it's not an urgent feature of lwip, however I'll try to make a patch.

Another question. I have a .mp3 file in the filesystem. I have some problems with this file, because it seems it is requested two times from the browser. The second time the browser doesn't specificy Accept-encoding header, so I imagine it doesn't like a compressed .mp3 file. It wants the uncompressed version (it's reasonable, because mp3 is already compressed).

Is there a msimple ethod to avoid makefsdata compressing certain non-SSI files, maybe based on extensions?