lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 10:43:13 -0500 (EST)

Duncan Hill <address@hidden> wrote to Richard Stallman of the GNU
        project, with CC to lynx-dev:
>On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> Could you please change Lynx not to try to use xv?
>> I've found that xview works for displaying a jpeg,
>> and I believe that is free.
>
>Look for this line in /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg (or wherever lynx.cfg
>resides)
>#VIEWER:image/gif:xv %s&:XWINDOWS
>
>You can modify it to suit. The explanations for that line are above at
>around line 1020 of the lynx.cfg.

And then, unfortunately,
Drazen Kacar <address@hidden> wrote to lynx-dev with
        CC to Richard Stallman:

>Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> So could you please change Lynx to use xview, or some other free program,
>> instead of xv?
>
>Let's take a look at hill.gnu.ai.mit.edu...
>[... followed by the wrong section of lynx.cfg, and misinformation that,
  as a regular on lynx-dev, he should know better than to post.  Sigh...]

Richard,

        Ignore that last misinformation.  Here is the relevant section
of lynx.cfg, to which Duncan orginally referred you:

[...]
# The MIME_type:viewer:XWINDOWS definitions listed here in the lynx.cfg
# file are among those established via src/HTInit.c.  For the image types,
# HTInit.c uses the XLOADIMAGE definition in userdefs.h (open is used for
# NeXT). You can change any of these defaults via the global or personal
# mailcap files at run time.  They will be overridden if you assign them
# here.
[...]

        Here is the section of userdefs.h to which that directs you:

[...]
/**************************
 * This define will be used for a default in src/HTInit.c.
 * Make it the full path and name of the xloadimage command.
 * Put 'echo' or something like it here if you don't have it.
 * It can be anything that will handle GIF, TIFF and other
 * popular image formats (xv does).
 * You must also have a "%s" for the filename
 */
#define XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND "xv %s"
[...]

        Nobody should be compiling Lynx without first going through
userdefs.h and setting the definitions appropriately for the system.
If you are including a binary in the GNU CD-ROM, feel free to define
XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND to whatever GNU-endorsed viewer for image/* you
like.

        Dave (i.e., Drazen with some 8-bit character replaces, but
Dave in LANG=en_US 8-) did correctly inform you that users can
change the compilation default at run-time via their mailcap file,
but that's stated in the correct part of lynx.cfg, to which Duncan
originally referred you.

                                Fote