lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics (and) Richard Stallman

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics (and) Richard Stallman
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 08:46:21 -0800

You guys are missing the concept.

Stallman is not complaining about default of "xv" for HIMSELF!

Stallman runs the "free software foundation".

He WROTE emacs -- and still, all these many years later,
maintains it.

You get to use gcc ONLY because of him...

etc, etc.

What we are trying to do is see if he finds it worthwhile to
put the NEW lynx (2.7?) onto his (well, gnu's) "source cd" (two
cd's with HUGE amounts of source code on it, eg emacs, gcc etc,
tex, etc, etc, humonguous amount of software, FREE essentially
($60 for the two cd's for INDIVIDUAL users, $240 for businesses,
money going to support the 8 or 10 people working there).

If you don't already know, he is the main force behind the idea
that software should be free.  Maybe we all don't agree 100% with
this (we do have to eat), but fsf/gnu is his baby, and it is his
"copyleft" agreement that pretty much applies to anything on his
cds.

Now, lynx is already on prior gnu cds (they come out twice a year,
jan and june/july); this jan one is running LATE a couple of weeks,
so I suggested that maybe we could get him to put the upcoming
NEW lynx onto his cd, instead of the current 2.4 or whatever
that was on the prior one (I think).

Maybe he can reply as to how many thousands? of people get his
cds, ie immediate huge distrubution of (newest hopefully) lynx.

Anyway, I think we should do what he asks about making the
defaults be for FREE software.

Hope this helps.

;
;