lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans patches impressions..

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Chartrans patches impressions..
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:24:26 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> There are no adverse effects to CJK that I notice with looking at a few
> pages.  I'll try to make the time to exercise it more.  BTW, my settings
> are the following, if it makes any difference:
>      display (C)haracter set      : Japanese (EUC)
>      Raw 8-bit or CJK m(O)de      : ON
>      preferred document lan(G)uage: ja,en
>      preferred document c(H)arset : ISO-2022-JP.
> Can you give me instructions for doing more rigorous testing?

I don't know what exact points should be tested.  Basically, all that
works with standard Lynx should still work.  Look at Title line (to line
on screen), text in ALT attributes, and titles in bookmark files, and on
the auxiliary pages Lynx creates for history list, '=', 'V', 'l' etc.

> It may get out of hand if every code contributor sticks in his own set of
> supporting documentation.  First, let me say, though, I was very happy to
> see that Klaus put in the historical documentation for his modifications.

Those new README.* and CHANGES.* files etc. of course don't have to stay
there forever.  They could be moved or removed later.  Some things are
more for my benefit than to be useful for others.  But I think of these
packages only as intermediate stages.

> Eventually, though, I think lynx-dev will want CHANGES renamed to CHANGES2-7,
> and either an addition to the CHANGES series or a start of a whole new
> concept of record keeping.  I realize CHANGES.chartrans is the beginning of
> that, but it needs to be integrated, not just chartrans specific.  Better
> use of the docs directory might be in order.  If nothing else, move the old
> CHANGES2* to a subdirectory of docs, and point people there from the newest
> CHANGES file (or its replacement) in the top-level directory.

I started a CHANGES.new file, for changes that are worth keeping a log of,
in the style Fote uses for CHANGES.  That might eventually become the new
CHANGES file.  I will put it in a new package (with the latest BUGFIX and
some changes from Wayne and me to make the chartrans code compile on
Win32).

> Documentation
> to specific modifications could also be filed into individual subdirectories
> of docs.
>[...]
> Klaus, I noticed the `/* The strange-looking comm ... _VERSION "2.7wb+ct-0.3"'
> in userdefs.h and thought it was a great idea, nothing to ignore by any means!

Well whoever doesn't like should change it before compiling (back to "2.7"
or whatever).

  Klaus

;
;