lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 05:20:30 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:
> I just tested the lynx2-7_auto code here on SLCC. I noticed something odd. I
> usually get just an error about ranlib not being found. I still get this
> error when making (yes, I did ./configure and then make solaris) and don't
> beleive I should.

I can't say anything about this one.

> In addition, the build did not complete. I had some errors where it was
> trying to rename some sun looking headers to .old after compiling the HT???
> files. The errors looked like this one I managed to catch before it scrolled
> away:
>
> ./makeuctb mnem_suni.tbl > uni_hash.tmp
> this_isDefaultMap: -1._.
> makeuctb: mnem: translation map (_).
> mv mnem_suni.h mnem_suni.h_old
> mv: cannot access mnem_suni.h
> *** Error code 2 (ignored)

These are from my chartrans stuff.  You can ignore those messages.
(I'll make them less verbose after some more assurance that things are
building correctly on other people's machines.)  The `mv' command is
just trying to make a backup copy of some files in src/chrtrans before
overwriting them, this is also something that is probably not needed
when everything is working correctly.  The `mv' fails because there is
no earlier version of the files in question, but the error is ignored
as it should be.

> Also, when it was compiling the LY??? files, I got a bunch of them that had
> warnings like:
>
> LYCharSets.c:2142: `MAX_CHARSETS' undeclared here (not in a function)
> LYCharSets.c:2142: variable `LYlowest_eightbit' has initializer but
> incomplete type
> LYCharSets.c:2142: conflicting types for `LYlowest_eightbit'
> LYCharSets.h:14: previous declaration of `LYlowest_eightbit'
> LYCharSets.c:2143: invalid initializer for `LYlowest_eightbit'
> LYCharSets.c:2144: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer after
> `LYlowest_eightbit'LYCharSets.c:2155: warning: excess elements in scalar
> initializer after `LYlowest_eightbit'

Definitions for MAX_CHARSETS and MAX_CHARSETSP are necessary for
compiling with -DEXP_CHARTRANS, and -DEXP_CHARTRANS is currently set in
SITE_DEFS and SITE_LYDEFS of the package's makefile.in (and Makefile,
but that wouldn't be used).

The userdefs.h should contain #define's for those two symbols.  (Maybe
I should move that somewhere else?)

> and finally, a fatal error:
>
> LYCharSets.c:2159: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer after
> `LYlowest_eightbit'
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `LYCharSets.o'
> Current working directory /
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `solaris'
>
> I can't tell if the problem is local, auto-conf, or chartrans stuff. Klaus
> and Thomas, please look it over and advise. I can do the build again in a
> typescript to capture the full session if needed.

That may all be because somehow MAX_CHARSETS was not defined.

   Klaus

;
;