lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx2-7 + 1997-03-11 FM bugfixes doesn't connect to CPAN (v

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx2-7 + 1997-03-11 FM bugfixes doesn't connect to CPAN (via proxy?)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:55:24 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, G. Del Merritt wrote:

>   $ lynxnew http://www.perl.com/CPAN/

I get the following output with

     lynx -mime_header http://www.perl.com/CPAN/

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 06:25:39 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2b6
Connection: close
Location: ftp://ftp.hkstar.com/pub/CPAN//
Uri: ftp://ftp.hkstar.com/pub/CPAN//

That is, a redirection to an ftp URL.  This redirection message has
several unusual properties:
 - the double slash at the end of the Location header
 - It pretends to have a text/html body, but there isn't any body
 - Requesting URL http://www.perl.com/CPAN instead (without trailing
   slash) gives quite different results.
 - It is a HTTP/1.1 response

Any of these could be confusing your proxy, or even Lynx...

>   *INTERRUPT*
>
>   Exiting via interrupt: 2
>
> Note that I had to ^Y twice to get back to the DCL prompt.  There was no
> reported access viloation without the "-trace".

I have no idea why -trace would make Lynx fail, apparently somewhere in
the cookie code.

> Other proxy served data appears to be working, so I don't know if noting use
> of proxies is a red herring.  What else should I look at to correct this
> problem at my site, or to pass along to the CPAN folk?

Try it without a proxy...

   Klaus

;
;