lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: html tags

From: Erik Haugsjaa
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: html tags
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:41:21 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Al Gilman) and I ponder:
>   I was just hoping for a definitive source to answer my question
>   of why lynx does <hr width=10% but not <hr width=100> correctly.
>   I'm assuming it's because I'm still using 2.5.  :(
>
> I don't think so.  I think that the width=100 is probably
> measured against a page-layout scale that Lynx, operating in a
> grid of character cells, does not recognize.
> To put it a tad strongly, from a Lynx perspective, width=100 is
> not a correct thing to ask for.  [under this hypothesis]

I guess I look at things in the reverse way...

Given the HTML 3.2 spec, what is the most logical thing for lynx to
do.  In the case of tables, for example, lynx essentially adds
line-breaks between cells.

Similarly, a logical thing for lynx to do with width=100 would be to
assume some guess-timate like a 80 column screen and a 9 pixel width
font.  So, width=100 would be similar to width=14% (100/720).  But I
could believe it's not a reasonable thing to do as well.  It just
seems like a bad guess would be better than a non-guess in this case
IMHO.

No big deal, of course.

Erik Haugsjaa - address@hidden
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~ehaugsja/