lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV PC lynx file access questions.

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV PC lynx file access questions.
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 00:28:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> OK, we have uncovered a number of quirks in how file:// access works in
> 95.  I guess it is time to re-write the handler.
>
> Before doing that I need someone with NT to come forth and tell me how
> close things are to 95.  Two things come to mind right off: does "dir
> \\server\share\path" work in a dos box on NT and does NT have .lnk files
> for shortcuts.

Yes (to both questions)

> If NT uses .lnk files, could someone email one or two of them?  I am
> curious how they compare to 95s.

Two are included as a MIME-attachment. They are also available at
   http://www.nmt.edu/~bsittler/shortcuts.zip
My guess is that they use the same format for 95 and NT. Otherwise, .LNK
files on a VFAT drive would be in two different formats. The lynx.lnk is
from an NTFS drive, the other from a VFAT drive.

> One thing I found out, you can browse yourself by using your own server
> name.  Guess I never thought of that.  I also found that
> file://///server/share/path and just //server/share/path will work for
> subdirectories on 95 with lynx.  Pretty weird.

It works under NT too, but there's no obvious way to access the root dir
of the share drive. I tried file://///server/share,
file://///server/share/, file://///server/share//,
file://///server/share/., file://///server/share/./, and even
file://///server/share/dir/.., none of which worked. Hmmm... no wonder
Netscape behaves oddly in similar circumstances.

Hope this helps.
--
Benjamin C. W. Sittler