lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV New development code

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New development code
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 00:42:06 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> Klaus, two things about your merged/all/ stuff. Why not make README_1ST.html
> index.html so people pick it up automatically.

I prefer to have the server-generated listing which automatically gives
the date+time and (an idea of) the file size.  Call it weird, but -
I actually _like_ Web pages that look just like an FTP file listing :)
Especially if that's what they essentially are.
On www.tezcat.com (using Apache) I figured out how to get both (using a
HEADER.html and a README file which get inserted before and after the file
listing), but I don't know how the Netscape server does these things.
Well the truth is I don't want to put much effort in the design of the
page(s), just make sure the files and necessary info are there, but if you
have any bright ideas...

> Also, should not the README*
> file read lynx-2.7_ac* instead of lynx-2.7* (just to avoid confusion).

I changed that now in
<URL:http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/klaus/merged/all/README.1ST.html>.

> I made a note pointing to this new stuff in the lynx/lynx2-7_auto README file
> so that people who go there will find the new stuff. I'll leave it up to the
> list as to when I should delete the lynx/lynx2-7_auto stuff.

Yes, I saw the note in the README.  Since that makes clear that it is not
the newest stuff, there's no hurry deleting it.  Although I think (and
hope) that further development by others will be based on the 2.7ac-*
versions. [ whether RCS or CVS or not.. ]

  Klaus

;
;