lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV NNTP puzzle

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: LYNX-DEV NNTP puzzle
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:53:47 -0500

In attempting to access a particular site, I discovered that the site's
NNTP service was not currently availab.e.  However, there was a bit of
peculiar output during the trace and after looking at HTNews.c I can't
quite figure it out.  Here's the important part of the trace:

HTNews: Connected to news host genetics.upenn.edu.
NNTP Response: 421
NNTP service is not available at the moment.
News: doing HTDoConnect on 'nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/'
Connecting to NewsHost ...
HTParse: aName:nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/
relatedName: HTParse: result:genetics.upenn.edu
Looking up genetics.upenn.edu.
TCP: Parsed address as port 119, IP address 130.91.204.50
Making NNTP connection to genetics.upenn.edu.
HTNews: Connected to news host genetics.upenn.edu.
NNTP Response: 421 NNTP service is not available at the moment.

Alert!: Can't read news info. News host genetics.upenn.edu responded: 421 NNTP
service is not availa
Alert!: Can't read news info. News host genetics.upenn.edu responded: 421 NNTP

HTAccess:  status=-500
Can't Access `nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw/'
HTAccess: Can't access `nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw/'

Alert!: Unable to accessUnable to access document.

----

The puzzle is that even though the response itself is a NNTP 421 response,
the status was set to a -500.  However, the code in HTNews _looks_ like the
status should be the value 421.

I can't figure out if there's some small problem in HTNews which is causing
the status to be mangled.

;