lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lagging Processes

From: Daniel Spillers, Agora Systems Sysop
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lagging Processes
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:56:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Bela Lubkin wrote:

||Daniel Spillers wrote:
||This list can probably help you, but you need to include more
||information.  For starters: what version of Lynx?  Under what operating
||system and version?  Be as specific as possible.

Lynx 2.7 ; Redhat Linux 4.1 (linux kernel 2.0.27)

||If these lingering processes slow down your machine, they are probably
||spinning rather than sitting idle.  Use the tools provided by your
||operating system to try to see what they're doing.  Such tools might
||include: ps; truss, strace or trace; top; etc.

i'll check those ... i've seen both the ps and top feeds, and it just
looks like the processes are sitting there (with no one connected to them,
re: the who) doing who knows what. the more there are, the slower the
machine flies.

||Are you sure the lingering processes are caused by normal logouts?  I
||wouldn't expect problems with normal, graceful logouts.  But if the
||client is a PC running some sort of MS operating system, and the user
||"logs out" by turning off or rebooting his PC, things could get weird.

This is what i have speculated, but I wanted to 'report' this to this list
just in case this isn't a unique occurrance. I am going to send a message
to my users to remind them to disconnect properly.

thanks again.

daniel

;
;