lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in OSF ver 4.0

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in OSF ver 4.0
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 14:25:33 -0500 (EST)

Michael Warner <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Duncan Hill wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Rodney Raney wrote:
>>
>> > The following is an error meesage I get while trying to run "make osf".
>> >    -I..  -c LYCurses.c
>> > cc: Error: LYCurses.c, line 396: In this statement, "ttytype" is not
>> > declared.
>> >     if (strncmp((CONST char*)ttytype, "dec-vt", 6) == 0) {
>>
>> As stated in the Makefile :)
>> # -DNO_TTYTYPE  if your system lacks the ttytype variable.
>> Tack that on the list of make commands under the osf section, and see if
>> it works.
>
>I had the same problem, also on a DEC ALPHA OSF1 4.0 system.  I
>grepped the entire source code for 'ttytype' and only found it in two
>lines, the one mentioned above and another a few lines away in the
>same file.  I figured it was a typo and changed both instances to,
>IIRC, 'termtype', which also appeared in the vicinity and *was*
>declared in some .h file or other.  It then compiled.  That was ver.
>2.6, I believe, and my system upgraded to 2.7 a month or two ago, so I
>haven't had to build my own copy since.
>
>Disclaimer:  I took  one 'Intro to C' class >5 years ago, forgot most
>of that, and have no idea what I'm doing where computers are involved.
>Therefore, the above is merely relating experience, not offering
>advice!

        DEC has ttytype declared in curses.h through it's 3.n versions.
I don't know why it's gone in v4.0, or if it will stay gone in v4.1.
On VMS, many consider it a "rule of thumb" to skip upgrading to any
n.0 version of DEC products, and instead wait for the n.1 version.
I don't know if that's become a "rule of thumb" for OSF. :) :)

        I don't know if your change of ttytype to termtype in LYCurses.c
was an appropriate thing to do, because all of the OSF boxes to which
I have access skipped upgrading to v4.0 and are waiting for v4.1. :) :)
The check is for whether the string begins with "dec-vt", and if so,
strips the "dec-".  That check predates my involvement with Lynx, and
perhaps was just an Ultrix issue.  I suspect all you need to do though
Lynx v2.7 is add -DNO_TTYTYPE in the top level Makefile.  If so, the
autoconf for the devel code set(s) probably can just check for a ttytype
declaration.

                                Fote