lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV HREF pedantry

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HREF pedantry
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:53:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, David Woolley wrote:

> Are fragments immune for URL encoding requirements?  Otherwise the spaces
> should be %20s.
>
> However, given that MSIE, and probably FrontPage, will accept raw spaces
> in the middle of the main part of a URL, I think the be tolerant in
> what you accept principle would suggest that Lynx ought to tolerate raw
> spaces (and encode them before transmitting in the main part of a URL).
> The original reason for denying spaces is surely that they can be
> corrupted by word wrapping.

Until you can prove that there are no pages around any more that rely
on the insignificance of whitespace, I think the "don't break
implementations that have done nothing wrong" principle suggests that
Lynx ought to continue doing as it does now, and authors whose pages
become inacessible because their URLs rely on some arbitrary Microsoft
implementation decision ought to be told so.

> Wishlist: Lynx should have an option to turn off all the heuristics for
> broken HTML (or at least as many as possible).

This isn't even an HTML question.

But what should Lynx do without any heuristics?  Just give up?
Should Lynx become a validator?

     Klaus

;
;