lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER around the TABLE

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER around the TABLE
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 00:45:29 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> I am on the way of convincing my sysadmin to upgrade Lynx 2.6 to newer one.
>
> It is happened that some particular pages have different layout with 2.6
> and current, and the older looks more correct. Really,
> ac-0.81 code flush left that intended to be centered (and 2.6 do so).
>
> URL (http://www.dials.ccas.ru) quoted below,
> every line within the main table appears to be flush left. ^V have no sense.
> Is it a wrong page design or smth else?
>
> Please CC: the reply to my e-mail address.

The change is described in CHANGES.new for 1997-05-21 and in <URL:
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0597/msg00987.html>.

I don't see a reason why the previous behavior should be "more
correct"; in general, <CENTER>...</CENTER> around a table is supposed
to center the table as a whole, not individual lines from its contents
(which is all that Lynx currently can do).

I find that your example looks better now without the centering; note
especially the placement of "Latest News:" before the unordered list.

For a TR with ALIGN=center attribute, Lynx now centers the resulting
line(s), so adding this to all TRs in a table should essentially give
the same layout as that resulting fron enclosing the whole table in
CENTER or DIV ALIGN=center in previous versions.

   Klaus