lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Charset names in ac105

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Charset names in ac105
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:21:38 +0300 (MSK)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Lynx v2.7.2 treats cp#, cp-#, ibm# and windows-# as synonyms for
> MicroSoft charsets, so that only the # distinguishes them.  The IANA
> registry is incomplete and does not correspond well with what is
> actually being used as the values of charset parameters in META elements
> and/or Content-Type headers.  The merge of v2.7.2 into the devel code

I am not against aliasing, but canonical name you suggest should reflect
standards or most common practice at least, this rule is broken now.  F.e.
if you press ^A to choose charset, it suggest to choose non-existent
cp1251 instead of commonly used and standard windows-1251. I not see even
one page which use cp1251 as name. Suggesting to choose incorrect
(aliased) name leads no nonsense, since user can mark his pages with this
charset which will broke other browsers.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>