lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx386 not connecting

From: Bill Schiavo
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx386 not connecting
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:32:26 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone.

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Marc D. Williams wrote:

> > As you said, there must be something conflicting with lynx. It would
> > probably be helpful to others if you could discover what that is. How
> > about starting with a clean boot to a minimal DOS system, only loading
> > any drivers actually needed to run the system and an environment at
> > least large enough to hold all the variables? If lynx runs on the
> > bare-bones system, then it is a matter of adding back each line from
> > config.sys and autoexec.bat, one by one, until lynx stops working.
> >                                 Doug
>
> Thought about that this morning actually. Had my fingers crossed but
> still no go. My clean boot only consists of the following (I use boot.sys):

Okay, I think I know what the problem is.  You seem to be having serious
problems with floating point emulation.  To find out, try viewing a local
file by using the dummy packet driver (nullpktd) and then run lynx with a
local file.

For example, your lynx session would look like this:

nullpkt 0x60
lynx some.text.file

If lynx gets stuck or it takes a real long time to load the file, you
definitely have floating point problems.  This happened to me on a 386
system very similar to yours.

There is a patch to remove the use of floating point operations from Lynx
but I can't seem to find it for the life of me!

 > CONFIG.SYS >    buffers=20
>    FILES=30
>    shell=c:\4dos\4dos.com /p
> AUTOEXEC.BAT