lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV finding and disambigating lynx.cfg

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV finding and disambigating lynx.cfg
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:18:42 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Mark H. Wood said:

> I thought that lynx.cfg was a systemwide file -- on my systems it is in
> /etc .  Users who want individual customizations use a different, per-user
> file.  I never understood why *anything* that is in /etc/lynx.cfg should
> appear in a compile-time options list.

There are two lynx.cfg files, and two user-specific files.  One
of the user-specific is also names lynx.cfg and mimics/overrides
[most of the time] the capabilities of the system-wide file.  You
could say that the system-wide file anticipates user settings the
user may not want to bother to set.

There is another file named .lynxrc which caches interactive
settings if the user interactively asks that they be saved.  This
also has a lot of overlap with what lynx.cfg controls, but not
total identity of coverage.

HTH

Al

c.f. "finding and using lynx.cfg" in