lynx-dev

RE: LYNX-DEV Supression of messages in Lynx

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV Supression of messages in Lynx
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:37:12 -0500

Please do not put words into my mouth. We are not trying to do ANYTHING
to our customers. And we do not see them as Dumb.

We are using Lynx ONLY as an HTML viewer for an HTML based help system
for our product. They will not be attached to any other servers and will
not need any other access other than the help files we provide.
Therefore, Lynx has been "distilled" via every configuration setting I
could find, to prevent users from getting confused, when all they are
supposed to be doing with it is viewing our help documentation. There is
no attachment to the web, or to any servers. All displayed files will be
local.

We have no speech users. Most of our users are people working in data
entry, order entry and warehouses. The total time they will actually use
LYNX will be a matter of minutes - to look up a help topic, follow any
related links to the info they want, print it(maybe) and get back to our
system.

Therefore I do not see that we are inhibiting our users from seeing the
web. We are also not saying they are, or trying to keep them dumb, but
rather only attempting to make the interface between our product and
Lynx (as help viewer) as seamless and unconfusing as possible.

Thank you.