lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:42:47 -0500 (EST)

> What I mean is the missing of </xxx> tags or the wrong boxing
> of tags like <x1> <x2> </x1> </x2> etc which appers more and more
> in the real WWW, often as result of bad configured HTML-generators.
> The <center> in  a <pre> block is another example. And there are more!
> In my mind, lynx should be able to handle side effects of HTML,
> if they are common in usage in the net and not part of the "true"
> HTML-specification. I know, this is not easy, because one has to
> decide, which is a "common used" and therefore a quasi standard
> construct.
>
> There are obviously different behaviors of the current lynx-dev and
> lynx2.7.2 concerning tollerance of bad html.
> Can someone explain this please?
There was a lot of noise about that late last summer (but little lucid
explanation, unfortunately).  Basically, Klaus' opinion was that Lynx
should follow the spec, and Fote's that it should do whatever he saw
Netscape & Internet Explorer doing.  This business of nesting blocks is one
where I'm inclined to agree with Fote, but - prefer to work on this in a
subsequent release.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden