lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 15:14:05 -0500 (CDT)

You (Jason F. McBrayer) wrote:
> FMG> I'm getting screwed because I can't script this crap, and the
> FMG> only winner is the happiness of some really anal validator that
> FMG> no one else, it seems, uses or cares that it exists.
>
> It's not for the sake of pleasing the validator.  It's so that people
> like us will have some target behavior to aim for that's not subject
> to daily revision by a commercial entity that would just as soon see
> us dead.  If you can't be bothered to do reasonably correct HTML by
> hand (and if you have a basic understanding of how HTML works, it's
> easier to write valid HTML than invalid HTML), why not try an SGML
> based HTML editor like Amaya or HoTMetaL?

You don't understand: I ensure that the basic structure of the file is
corrent or nearly so, than blind people are happy, that lynx can read
it (easy since I **ONLY** _use_ lynx :-), etc.

What I have a problem with are the "little annoying quirks" that the
validator checks for because they're not "pure" but are a royal pain
to fix. Unlike most people, I don't have time to go by hand through
17MB of text and fix up all these stupid things just to make a
validator happy. ON THE OTHER HAND, I refuse to switch to a "HTML
editor" because all my files are processed with personally-hacked
scripts which make my site easy to navigate (if I might claim so).
They do more harm than goon - from my POV.

> Anyway, if you MUST have Lynx parse a page as tag-salad rather than as
> HTML, you can hit ^V.  You can even make tag-salad parsing the default
> at compilation time (and I think also in lynx.cfg.).

I'll try it next time I hit such a page. I do find this a "holier than
thou" attitude, however. Why not just recognize such a page and offer
to reparse it with a prompt to the user? That would be user-FRIENDLY
way to solve this problem... but... noooooOOOoooo :-)

Take care.