lynx-dev

lynx-dev Bookmark remove bug in Lynx 2.8

From: Alachua Freenet Administrative/Tech Support
Subject: lynx-dev Bookmark remove bug in Lynx 2.8
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:50:55 -0400 (EDT)

I discovered a bug in Lynx 2.8 (and probably earlier versions) where the
Remove bookmark feature does not work correctly.

A user on my system had a large bookmarks file (over 200 bookmarks) and when
she tried to delete a bookmark, it would not remove the highlighted bookmark
but instead delete one several bookmarks before the highlighted entry.

It turned out she had about 4 bookmarks early in the file where there was no
link text for the bookmark. I.E. the entries resembled:

and when viewed these entries would be numbered but there would be no link
text:

12. Such-and-such webpage
13.
14. Another webpage

This appears to confuse the bookmark removal system. Since the user has been
on AFN for sometime and we've only relatively recently upgraded to Lynx 2.8,
the bad entries in her bookmarks file may have been generated by an older
version of Lynx. Presumably that occured because she added a bookmark for a
page that had no Title entry and she didn't enter any text for the bookmark
title.

I haven't had the time to look at the code and add my own fix for this
problem but will probably be doing so in the future. I wanted to pass on the
bug-report however. Apologies if this has been reported before, I was unable
to determine if there have been prior reports of this problem.

--Jeff Mercer,

               * Alachua Freenet Administrative & Tech Support *
                                address@hidden