lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 50 Lines in Windows 95

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 50 Lines in Windows 95
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 98 09:11:06 EDT

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:04:52 -0700,
Michael Warner   <address@hidden> wrote:

>Another variation - I've got a fairly old version of lynx
>(2.7.1ac-0.81) that probably predates my switch-over from
>WFW 3.1 to W95.  For whatever reason, the shortcut command
>line is c:\windows\system\conagent.exe instead of a
>lynx.bat.  I struggled several times to get the dos window
>to use the 50-line setting, but my efforts were completely
>ignored.  Just now, I used the
>explorer->conagent.exe->file->properties route, and !!! it
>worked !!!  My Windows knowledge is even more sketchy than
>my unix skills, so I have no idea what conagent.exe is or
>why it's used (I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned on
>the list), but maybe this will help someone else.
>
>I may even use the PC version occasionally, now!

That reminds me of my discovery a few weeks ago when I first installed
Lynx/32, version 2.8.1 Rel 4.  My DOS screen reading program,
Vocal-Eyes, can associate configuration files with the running
application program's name.  I found that the config file Lynx.set
would not automatically load when I started Lynx.  So I checked, and
found Vocal-Eyes reporting that the name of the running program was
Conagent.exe.  So now, my configuration file, which I renamed to
Conagent.SET, loads automatically.  It must be something in how
Lynx/32 was compiled.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/