lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev "Looking up ... "

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "Looking up ... "
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:39:31 +0100 (BST)

> there is a wait of the same length while my system password is checked.
> this is new tonight & obviously a local problem likely to be solved soon
> & of little interest for lynx-dev.

If you can, try nslookup - if you type it without any arguments, it'll
give you a prompt and tell you the default nameserver it'll query.
If this isn't set to a local one, have a word with your sysadmin.

> is there a means for me to access the  webcache  using my own Lynx 2-8

Set the environment variable http_proxy to
http://webcache.chass.utoronto.ca:3128/
(assuming it's this host  :-)

Or configure it in the lynx.cfg file you use (I think you can)

> & if so, might i find that it saves me time usually (not tonight)?

You might  :-)  Personally I run both a caching nameserver and squid
on my work machine, but I have been, how can I put it, `mocked' for
such an extreme solution.

"So you need a nameserver and cache for lynx?  Just use Netscape!"

--
rob partington    personal: <URL: mailto:address@hidden >
  programmer     lynx mail: <URL: mailto:address@hidden >