lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx: are you getting spam like this one?:

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: are you getting spam like this one?:
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:02:32 -0700

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998, David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is this?  In the last few days, I've gotten
> several spams that display with all this html showing.

Not too uncommon, in my experience.  Maybe you recently
started posting to usenet?  I think that's the primary
source of addresses for spammers.

> [...] (not that "properly displaying" spam is any fun).

On the off chance that this is a question about "properly
displaying" HTML in email, it could be that:

1. The email didn't have a mime-type header, or
2. It had an incorrect mime-type (e.g. text/plain), or
3. Your email client doesn't do MIME

Re: 1 & 2 -

I use mutt, which has a command to force use of mailcap to view
a piece of email, and a line in my .mailcap that sends this sort
of mail to "lynx -force-html".  Mutt handles real "text/plain"
itself, so lynx only gets called by my choice.  This is probably
a clumsy hack, but html mail that I actually want to read is rare
enough that it suits my purposes.

> (I just note the "To:" is wrong too!)

That's just a dummy address for a distribution list, with you in
the Bcc:.  Note that replies to the From: address, especially
when it's the same as the To: address, are liable to go to the
same people that got the original spam, which is a Bad Thing(tm).

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, and might well be wrong about any of
this....

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>