lynx-dev

lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:34:53 -0400 (EDT)

980707 Bela Lubkin wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>> there is a strong lobby to have the code added by some DOS/Windows users.
> I'm not a DOS/Windows user
> and I'm strongly in favor of Lynx caching unmodified source pages.

the basic problem here is not programming or system considerations,
but the shape of debate at lynx-dev, which immediately gets confused.
there are TWO SEPARATE issues, with different reactions:

(1) should Lynx cache ALL source files?
    -- there seems to be strong feeling by users with limited resources
    that this would not be useful enough to justify the load involved;

(2) should Lynx cache JUST THOSE source files obtained by  \ ?
    -- some of us believe this would indeed be very useful
    when trying to track down what's wrong with someone's bad HTML
    & would not happen often enough to overload anyone's system.

there is then another question:

(3) how should Lynx internally name such cached files?

if we can all TRY VERY HARD to keep these questions SEPARATE,
we might finally be able to make some real progress on the issue (smile) ...