lynx-dev

address@hidden: lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)]

From: Stephane Payrard
Subject: address@hidden: lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)]
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:29:19 +0200

----- Forwarded message from Philip Webb <address@hidden> -----

From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
Subject: lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)
To: address@hidden
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:34:53 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: address@hidden

> 980707 Bela Lubkin wrote:
>> David Woolley wrote:
>>> there is a strong lobby to have the code added by some DOS/Windows users.
>> I'm not a DOS/Windows user
>> and I'm strongly in favor of Lynx caching unmodified source pages.

Indeed, not everyone does want to know about caching proxies.

> Philip Webb:
> the basic problem here is not programming or system considerations,
> but the shape of debate at lynx-dev, which immediately gets confused.
> there are TWO SEPARATE issues, with different reactions:

Thank you for acting as a benevolent moderator

> (1) should Lynx cache ALL source files?

definitively No!

Apparently, I was not clear in my original question.  I just want to
save only the *last* HTML file in its original format without reloading
it. The goal is to save telecomm time.

So if my ISP has a caching proxy, it buys me nothing because the file
content goes again thru my slow PPP connection to my ISP.  This is
precisely what I want to avoid.  I could run a local caching proxy in
my linux box. I don't want to: I moved to lynx because my computer is
trashing with xemacs, netscape and tutti quanti, so I can bare lynx
memory cache but I don't want to run extra programs to work around a
lynx... hum ... peculiarity.

>    -- there seems to be strong feeling by users with limited resources
>    that this would not be useful enough to justify the load involved;

temporarily saving away or caching one file is less hard on resources
than running a local proxy.

> (2) should Lynx cache JUST THOSE source files obtained by  \ ?
>    -- some of us believe this would indeed be very useful
>    when trying to track down what's wrong with someone's bad HTML
>    & would not happen often enough to overload anyone's system.

Indeed, that would also avoid loading again the file when toggling
with '\'

> there is then another question:
>
> (3) how should Lynx internally name such cached files?

I assume here my answer to your other question: only one file is to be
cached.

It would be memory cached,
   or be a temporary file
     in SAVE_SPACE, as defined in  if writable
     or in /tmp otherwise (well for Unix...)

  (btw: how can I override SAVE_SPACE in .lynxrc?)

The 's' binding would really save the currently displayed file as HTML
and would use the same screen (asking about the filename) that it uses
when I had explicitely downloaded the file.  If the temporary file is
already in SAVE_SPACE and I accept the defailt, this is just a UNIX
rename(2).

too bad that 's' is already bounded to external search :(

I don't care about the name of the saved file.  I have a crude but
useful Perl script that rename HTML files after their titles.  Lynx is
nice enough to save away in a comment the URL of the saved files so I
can use that info to better classify these saved files.

--
  stef