lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 06:03:36 -0400

Sorry for the long include of comments, but they are relevant.

From: Michael Warner <address@hidden>
> On Thu, Jul 09, 1998, pk <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I was starting to get tired of always having to hit 'A' to tell lynx to
> > accept cookies that it was offered, so I made up this patch to 2.8rel2 to
> > automatically accept all cookies if a commandline switch is given, or an
> > option is set in the lynx.cfg or .lynxrc file. If EAT_ALL_COOKIES is set
> > to TRUE, or -eat_all_cookies is specified on the commandline, they'll all
> > be accepted.
>
> and...
>
> On Thu, Jul 09, 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps in 'eat all cookies' mode there should be a cookie monster file
> > created that logs what cookies were eaten?
>

> Is it just me, or is there perhaps a bit of terminological
> confusion here?  In the Lynx help, "gobbling" cookies refers

Yes, the lynx help file uses the term "gobble" to mean the user wishes
to delete a cookie previously accepted.

Posterkid, perhaps what you want to do is rename your options
'HOARD ALL COOKIES' or accept_all_cookies instead of 'EAT ALL COOKIES'
to avoid the confusion.

Then, I would reword my request to log all accept all cookies or hoard all
cookies .  The idea is that the original cookie code was done as it was
so that the user never had cookies being exchanged without knowing about
it.  The logging of accepted cookies parallels this action by keeping
track of the cookies accepted so that one has a way of knowing what went on.

In fact, by adding the feature, one almost has a persistent 'cookie jar'
feature...  All that would be left would be the code to lookup cookies upon
request.