lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx.cfg

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx.cfg
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Mon Jul 13 17:09:01 1998
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx.cfg
> To: address@hidden
>
> Amazingly enough T.E.Dickey said:
> > > Actually, I would prefer share/lynx, but I'm not sure how that fits into
> > > the Grand Scheme Of Things (tm).
> > for one file only - probably not a lot (except that the help-files also
> > are platform-independent).
>
> As a reformed sysadmin, I can say I would much prefer having everything in
> share.  Lynx.cfg has always given me indigestion; so I've always gone
> through a bit of effort to try to make the variety of machines share the
> same config and help files.
>
> While I can see how we could end up in the same trap as ncurses did (it
> ending up being one of our biggest questions), perhaps a little tweaking in
> the makefile to look for versions in the old location before doing a make
> install would help alleviate the problem?

Just make sure that for those of us who use shell-accounts
on systems where there is NO trustworthy administrator
interested in our welfare (netcom, for shell accounts),
but we DO share binary version of lynx (because we
are limited in amount of disk space we get if we
don't want to get charged more), that we can put
things into OUR OWN COPY of the .cfg file, that
WE can control.  If up in share, well, it would be, uh,
shared, and also likely protected from modification.