lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what T.E.Dickey wrote:

>>> I get the actual filename by using the uparrow to scroll back in the
>>> history. (It would be nice to append to an existing filename though)
>>
>> Sure doesn't work for me, hitting uparrow at that prompt:
> then something's broken (it works for me in the release and development
> versions -- I see a prompt to "Edit the previous filename").
>
>> Printing file.  Please wait...Append to filename: ^[[A^[[A^[[A

I have found that if it's related to your TERM variable (and thereby
terminal control) being set wrong, on my systems with job control, I stall
lynx with ^Z, correct the TERM variable and issue "reset", then reawaken
lynx.

(known working on: Linux revs RedHat 4.2 & SuSE 5.x)

Hope that helps;  if it does, either fix your login script to set your
TERM more intelligently, or to give you a personal motd reminding you to
set it.  If you only use lynx from one station, but typically login from
several different termtypes, make a script or alias to wrap around your
lynx run that sets the TERM for that session only.

For awhile I had a problem with other programs that were sometimes mangling
my terminal behavior; I was pleasantly surprised when lynx honored my reset
(I had expect to find myself "blind" or have to kill it, but I habitually
close down apps in the most normal method left to them.)  You might have to
force a redraw, but maybe not, especially as following a link will redraw
anyway.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         address@hidden
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - address@hidden
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078