lynx-dev

lynx-dev Old timer ? (was too long)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev Old timer ? (was too long)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 05:00:13 -0400 (EDT)

980718 Larry Virden wrote:
> I understand how wonderful lynx is.
> However, I am wondering if lynx is falling behind the times so fast
> it no longer is fair to advertise it as a general web interface.
> Some of the limitations or short falls to which I refer are:
>
> o limited handling of form text areas -
>   treats lines parameter as max instead of minimum

we've been discussing this: when someone gets the time,
it appears to be feasible to add external-editor support.

> o only experimental support for handling forms with file upload ability

i've never found any need for this: how often do other users?

> o full style sheet handling not yet handled
>   and limited style sheet handling still not consistently handled.

another of the many gaps in my knowledge: what's a style sheet?
hence, another thing i've never had any need for.

> o embedded scripting languages -- javascript and java -- not handled

quite recent as an Internet innovation: give developers time.

> o limited table handling causes tables to be dificult to read

YES, a long-standing defect, BUT there's a simple solution:
parse table tags as if they were those of nested ordered lists.
very simple, could be optional.

> if users were aware of the limits, they might be more able to determine
> whether they were interested before downloading & attempting to build it.

AFAIK there has been only  1  case of such a user grumbling to lynx-dev.

i don't mean to be mean -- your attempt to provoke debate is useful -- ,
but i certainly don't see anything more than the warning
implicit in the fact that Lynx isn't a GUI.